1. Health

New study finds teenage pregnancy rising

Teenage pregnancy is on the rise according to a recently released study by the Guttmacher Institute, a non-profit organization that conducts research on sexual and reproductive health. According to the report the rate of teenage pregnancies rose 3 percent in 2006 after a ten year decline.

Pregnancy rates in American teens saw a sharp decrease in the 1990s largely due to access to contraceptives. The rate plateaued in the early 2000s but suddenly saw a reverse in 2006. Many place the blame for the teenage pregnancy boom on the abstinence-only education that was promoted by President Bush.

But not everyone is following that train of thought. According to the National Review Online, a conservative news Web site, "In the decade after the federal government began its meager funding of abstinence education, teen pregnancy fell steadily."

Instead of placing blame on sex education, Robert Rector of National Review found the study faulty.

"For most people, 'teen pregnancy' implies pregnancy among high-schoolers, girls under age 18. According to Guttmacher's own data, the pregnancy rate for 15- to 17-year-old girls barely changed, and the rate for girls 14 and under (the group most affected by abstinence programs) actually dropped."

Comments
March 1, 2010 at 9:17 pm
(1) Karen Yarborough says:

I do agree, the rate of teenage pregnancy is rising. I am not sure of the reason, but I have many friends expecting now. I have heard it all about the reason for their pregnancies. Some say they chose to get pregnant to keep their boyfriend around, some say “they just want a baby”, some say the condom popped, and some have said they thought their boyfriend put on the condom, and then found out later that he did not.
I am not a politics persons, so I barely keep up with what the presidents are saying or doing, which is bad, I know, but that’s me, so I am unaware of President Bush’s acts. Whether or not what he did was correct, I do not believe the blame is on him. Teenagers have a mind of their own, and they put themselves in these situations from their careless actions and thoughts.

June 25, 2010 at 6:21 pm
(2) Bonnie from nanny says:

I’ve seen quite a lot of stories like this. Many girls in my highschool got pregnant before they even graduated.

September 10, 2010 at 7:34 pm
(3) Sarah says:

we sent our daughter to a Christian therapeautic school after she got pregnant. She needed good quality influences around here. She went to West Ridge Academy.

September 14, 2010 at 9:33 am
(4) anubhav kapoor says:

I guess this trend is truly global and the media exposure is largely to blame. However, I feel that the situation is such that most teens do have a basic understanding of the risks they undertake since there is so much being done by schools and parents in this regard…thus, it boils down to a personal choice and parents can only hope that their child makes a wiser decision.

July 11, 2011 at 8:04 pm
(5) Europe calling says:

Sometimes the contributing factors to teenage pregnancy relate to socio-economic status. Teenage pregnancy may be entrenched with poverty and inequality and influenced by other social control mechanisms – some people have more control over their individual behaviour than others – inequalities deny individual’s their rights and freedoms – the media frame the issue and that dictates the response but the media is also controlled by a political and social agenda – also the more unequal a country the worse the health indicators. Abstinence only campaigns are usually helpful with teens who have not started sexual activity but trying to control a teens behaviour or promote abstinence instead of accepting their sexuality and arming them with knowledge and respect for healthy and safe sexual relationships is probably like the river – de-nial.

October 20, 2011 at 12:27 am
(6) Mikayla says:

I think the reasoning behind the raise of teenage pregnancy is all the sexual behavior that girls and boys see in media such as TV, music, music videos, and advertisements. The book So Sexy So Soon will amaze you, and it explores the ideas of these crazy statistics and why media is probably to blame. I wrote it about it on my blog, greenleanteen.com, for teens under body image. It makes a whole lot of sense to me! I feel bad for all the teen girls that don’t respect themselves because of it, but thankfully that book I read was able to help me restore a positive body image.

February 24, 2012 at 8:30 am
(7) Neuropsychologist Clinical Melbourne says:

great information thanks for sharing with us…!!

September 22, 2012 at 1:28 am
(8) Examples Of Research Papers says:

If you wish for to improve your experience just keep visiting
this web page and be updated with the most up-to-date news update posted here.